This didn't show any obvious problems, so they decided to completely remove, re-seat and adjust the flap in the hope this would prevent future occurrences. If you're driving, remote key presses or button presses to open the charge flap shouldn't work. Just curiously, what was the air pressure readings? When I tried to open the flap on parking in my drive (using the dashboard button in this case) it refused while the car was on. Every electric car has a range indicator. Use our tool to find your customized savings. After driving the LEAF for two months, I find I use the B setting almost all the time. [[1036]] CleanTechnica is the #1 cleantech-focused news & analysis website in the US & the world, focusing primarily on electric cars, solar energy, wind energy, & energy storage. For the first time ever on my LEAF 40, when charging at home I terminated the charge early by pressing the cover flip button. I also reconfirmed that neither the key fob nor the dashboard button will release the flap while driving or in "ready to drive" mode. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. the flap over the Charing sockets has opened on me twice (in a month) while driving at 70mph. At first I thought I hadn't shut it properly so am meticulous when closing it now. But it’s an effortless transition and once you get the hang of it, you definitely miss it when you drive a conventional car again. Join the electrifying discussion today! Regen really isn’t about braking at all. So looks like it honks when filling and when the pressure drops. Contact us here. Checked the tire pressure and everythings normal. Advertise with CleanTechnica to get your company in front of millions of monthly readers. Pull it towards you for more regen. see full image. B is perfect for around-town driving. YMMV. Nissan’s all-electric hatchback has been designed to offer practical everyday electric driving and charging, as well as confidence for long journeys Can I ask how long since it has happened to you? Tags: EV reviews, Nissan, Nissan Leaf, Nissan LEAF long-term review, one-pedal driving, regenerative braking. Or is it dealer time? The Honda Clarity plug-in-hybrid I drove in August has several different settings that can be controlled by a button on the steering wheel. Somehow I haven't had to replace any on my 2011. While there have been a number of vehicle-to-grid charging tests in the U.S. involving the Leaf, no product or service so far has allowed EV owners to easily exploit that capability. Click on Contact at the top of the page. There is a very definite ‘click’ when I close mine, but I always give it a firm push in the centre with the back of my index finger on the centre front edge of the flap. They all have some form of regenerative braking that puts some electricity back in the battery when the car is coasting or when the driver applies the brakes. Update: My Nissan Dealer gave the flap a thorough check. The flap over the Charging sockets has opened on me twice (in a month) while driving at 70mph. Not bad. Insist they report it through the internal Nissan systems. Leaf honks by itself while driving. Hopefully not a design fault. It’s a pretty sweet feeling when it does. 14 comments. Either a TPMS sensor or a pretty girl walking by that the car likes. Often, I will see my range actually increase while driving as the motor puts energy back into the battery. If the motor slows the car firmly enough, it can make using the mechanical brakes virtually unnecessary. What happens if you press the “open flap” button on the keys while driving? News is published on CleanTechnica.com, while reports are published on Future-Trends.CleanTechnica.com/Reports/ and buying guides are here. D is great for highway driving where you don’t necessarily want to slow down a lot when you lift off the throttle. Even then there is definitely an issue here, because there is no indicator that the flap is open (unless plugged in) from inside the car - that is quite an oversight. Save Share. Sounds like a failing TPMS sensor! By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. The Nissan LEAF I purchased at the end of August has two modes. You would have to be brain-dead to miss the cues to find a charger ASAP. That's a feature! In some cars, like the I-PACE, you can take your foot off the throttle and let the car coast to a complete stop without touching the brake pedal. Sign up for our free daily newsletter or weekly newsletter to never miss a story. Published on September 30th, 2018 | Different manufacturers approach regen differently. Currently watching a family members Leaf for some days. CleanTechnica member, supporter, or ambassador, My Quest For Net Zero & Beyond With Tesla Model 3 — Part 5, To Pay or Not to Pay (the EU Fines) — the Carmakers’ Conundrum, US Tesla Sales Up 22% In 3rd Quarter, US Auto Sales Down 9%, Tesla Model 3 Price Drops By $3,300–3,700 In Norway, Carmakers Betray Their Customers With Outdated Plugin Hybrids, LeasePlan Asks Customers To Please Stop Leasing Plugin Hybrid Company Cars, China Is Breeding A Herd Of Purebred Trojan Horses To Conquer The Western BEV Market, CalSEED Awards $4.2 Million To Young Cleantech Companies, World’s Largest Solar PV Plant Connected To Grid With Help Of Huawei Smart PV Solution, 130+ Applications Submitted To AFSIA Solar Awards 2020, Iberdrola Developing Its 1st Solar–Wind Hybrid Plant In Australia. The spacing between the accelerator and the brake pedal should be the same as you are used to. They couldn't of course re-create the problem on demand. Nissan claims the new LEAF with E-Pedal is capable of true one-pedal driving. Of course, the fact that electricity is roughly half the cost of gasoline is a big part of that equation as well. Subjectively the port flap does now seem a little easier to close - we will see. Steve Hanley Steve writes about the interface between technology and sustainability from his homes in Florida and Connecticut or anywhere else the Singularity may lead him. Everything seemed normal, removed cable and closed the hatch as normal. VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 901, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. The first time , I took to dealer, they checked and said I can’t have closed it properly (it doesn’t have a safety catch like a bonnet). I have also reported the issue to Nissan Customer Services. The amount you'll save driving a Nissan LEAF depends on the rate you pay for electricity, average gas prices and even how far you typically drive. Please report it to and get it checked by your dealer - and don't be fobbed off, with "you can't have closed it properly". It's a fault. But if you are transitioning from a conventional car to an EV, you want it to look, operate, and drive pretty much like every other car you have ever driven. I suppose there is one other situation that is possible and that is that you have unknowingly pressed the key fob/dash switch after closing the flap and before pressing start as you have gotten into the car - you wouldn't see that from inside the car - hmmm - but it does make a big loud click as it opens, which would be hard to miss, until you are in the car with the doors closed. Paying less for brake pad replacement and brake repairs is one of the reasons the overall cost of ownership for an electric is less than for a conventional car. Reply. *with optional 6.6kW on-board charger. 2020 Nissan LEAF is the lowest 5-Year Cost to Own in its class by Kelley Blue Book’s KBB.com[[3096]] Kelley Blue Book 2019 Nissan LEAF – 5-Year Cost to Own Awards: Best … 11. So I suspect a fault. Lots of times, I never have to touch the brake pedal at all while driving. Then I thought I must be pressing on the key fob but as shown earlier, this would not happen whilst switched on. 12. Maybe it has the emergency brake on the left instead of the right, or uses an old-fashioned dimmer button mounted on the floorboard for the high beams. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Appreciate CleanTechnica’s originality? 2011 Nissan Leaf in Sky Blue - down to 7 capacity bars. Had it on my old Leaf but not on the 40. I make sure to give it a really decent shove when I close it now. Dealer or a tire shop should be able to check it out. by Steve Hanley. JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Set the transmission to D and there is very little regen braking until the driver touches the brake pedal. Using regenerative braking has a definite influence on range. Was 2.4, filled til 2.7 from the recommendation of the dealer front desk, Press J to jump to the feed. Provided I don’t have another car on my back bumper, I have learned to lift off the throttle earlier than I would in a conventional car and let the regen slow the car. In the LEAF, lights start flashing with about 15 miles of range left. I have not tried the key fob but would expect the same. I will keep an eye on it and make sure I am being firm in closing the flap after charging. They also said that this was the first report of an issue on the internal Nissan Technical forum, but that Nissan normally take any reports of problems in a new model very seriously. Yesterday I know I closed it properly as I have been very careful since the first time. Maybe, like the famous McLaren F1, it has the driver’s seat in the middle with a passenger seat on either side. There were no faults indicated in the electrical system. Our grandkids may never drive a car that doesn’t have regenerative braking, and that’s a good thing. Anyone else had this happen? ... 2019 Nissan Leaf Plus 0-60 at 43%SOC. This charge flap opening issue happened to me yesterday while driving at 70 mph on a dual carriageway. Even if you stick it in Eco mode and forget about the range-maximising E-Pedal and ‘B’ modes, the e+ will do well over 200 miles and accept a 100kW charge, making it a good option for anyone concerned about the occasional long-distance run. No one wants to go searching for the brakes when an emergency occurs. What year is the leaf? Regenerative braking is one feature of electric cars that people who have never driven one before will need to adapt to. Any clues? The wiper control should be on the right. So I suspect a fault. So, what is so great about regenerative braking? The flap has only flown open at speed on one occassion but I have spotted it not fully closed on at least 6 other occassions whilst parked. I don't know if it's my closing technique or if something has loosened up with use but it hasn't happened since. Cookies help us deliver our Services. report. The batteries in most TPMS sensors only last around 5 or 6 years. share. In the Chevy Volt, there is an extra paddle mounted behind the steering wheel below the turn signal stalk. Sometimes during driving the low tire pressure symbol flashes with both indicators, and then the car honks. Do those keys live in your pocket? When it is in generator mode, it actually slows the car down just as if you had shifted to lower gear in a conventional car. Nissan Leaf MK1 - Japan build (first and last time ever a Nissan) Renault Zoe R240 - ditched after 8k Miles due crap quality / problems / DS65 WBL Toyota Rav4 (ICE) SWMBO - PX for Tesla M3 Driving BEV since Dec 2015; 100% EV household. The Nissan Leaf has many tools in its armoury to maximise the number of miles it can travel on a charge. With an electric car and regenerative braking, that actually happens. The Nissan LEAF I purchased at the end of August has two modes. Leave it alone for less. While driving a conventional car for years and watching the gas gauge go down, down, down, I sometimes found myself wishing it would go back up once in a while. Yesterday I know I closed it properly as I have been very careful since the first time.

2021 Infiniti Q70, Barry Schultz Pilot, Notts County Players, Barnsley Fc Goalkeepers, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser Heritage Edition, Vegetarian Bunny Chow, Aston Villa 1981-82, Gumpert Apollo 2020, Kiss Them All Watch Online, Wuthering Heights Time Signature, Willie Norwood Nba, Jon Anik Salary, Is There A Military Discount For Adobe, Baldor Vector Motor,