I Did. After nearly a year of ownership now, we recognize that the actual range is greater than the display indicates. This car is a piece of junk. The assumption of 55 mph drive on a highway is crazy. Thanks for the write up. Search capability exists via a search box in the right hand column. I think around 27% left. After 9000 miles, I’ve gotten militant about the range issue. It would be very refreshing for an honest look at “real world” costs for EV’s which must be the the most hyped of the “eco” save the world products. I can’t, however, do the 100 mile round trip to Fort Collins, which is about 1/2 highway. Keep a close eye on the remaining battery life indicators. When asked about liquid cooling, 140F ambient air on highways, and other systems using liquid cooling. We won’t be seeing Moore’s Law-like changes in battery technology anytime soon. I’m sorry to hear that the LEAF may not be suitable for your needs. Purchased a 2013 Leaf SL in June and couldn’t be happier. (My hobby is e-biking so I have a keen interest and decent knowledge of lithium battery development and limitations as well.). Either way, I think the EV is here to stay. In this EPA test cycle, the LEAF achieved 100 miles of range. I feel like I was lied to by Nissan or at least grossly misled. Driving fast also is huge. More importantly, the car will have already experienced some degree of battery degradation. For some reason I thought the MSRP on the Leaf was closer to $38K. I understand there are no fed or state tax credits on used EVs but even factoring that in this price drop seems extreme. They likely don’t know that the 100 mile range is based on city driving, not highway driving. We have yet to install a level 2 charger at home but hope to soon, in the mean time it is hit and mis when you can find an open Quick Charge available at the dealer to supplement your trickle charge over night. Charged to 60% in about 10-15 minutes. [UPDATE: As you can see above, this article was written based on the 2011 LEAF in June, 2011. We haven’t kept meticulous records. Is this information publicly available? Anyone that says otherwise is speculating, unless they can provide a corporate source. Hello, Good info here. Thanks much for the feedback on your commute with the LEAF. I live about 25 miles from a “big town” and we go there often for shopping, meals, movies, etc. Thanks! It is turning into a great resource for those contemplating LEAF ownership. You mention Pounds rather than Dollars, so perhaps you are in the UK. Paul – The level 2 units are fairly costly. I figure by then they’ll have the leaf up to 200 miles,,, they have to compete with Tesla and Toyota. Too much of a rush to market is my best guess but I would love to get an insider’s perspective/response. It appears the walmounted units are a lot of show without a lot of extra value and there should be a portable level 2 charger like the trickle charger. That said, I’m finding the practical range is about 50 miles when I use the heater. And thank you for your contribution. I am looking to buy this car for my wife. As we have maintained, the range of the LEAF can vary dramatically based on driving style as well as terrain. Many will find your contribution helpful. The single biggest consideration in your particular situation is the speed of the commute. I do understand that an all electric car presents much steeper challenges engineering-wise in regards to thermal management given the limited amount of available power, and perhaps this bodes poorly for this segment when compared to the versatility of a plug-in hybrid. I do not think in the future we will see much active cooling for EV battery systems. If I have to drive 35 mph without heat to get a good range, I should have bought a 3-4 thousand dollar golf cart. It is the moving forward that counts. It was very wet and 4 degrees outside. They are fun and SUPER quiet. the way home, around a half mile. Early LEAF owners have had a Nissan dealership modification made to the range indicator which apparently offers a reserve when all battery bars are gone. Also, if available, you might plug in whenever the car is not being driven. has developed a test that shows their Real Range between charges. Who drives at this speed? Regarding your first question, unfortunately no one outside of Nissan knows the answer to this, and at least to date, no one is willing to share. Our testing produced a real-world range of 181 miles, putting it ahead of the similarly-priced BMW i3, but behind the capable Hyundai Kona EV and Kia E-Niro. Speaking of trickle charging, when I was shopping for the Leaf, I read about the “EVSE Upgrade”, which allows the trickle While I have not meticulously tracked my mileage on any given day, you have just provided me with the reason to do so! Andy Palmer also mentioned that he worked in the area of heat management sometime in his career. Let’s take a look at each result, and you can evaluate how your situation relates to it. The return trip was at 45 mph. Have fun with your LEAF! The actual range will however depend on several factors including climate, terrain, … Here Nissan says that you will be cruising around town at 24 miles per hour on a 72 degree day with no climate control needed. My first words to an inquiry are always something along the lines of “If you are in the right situation, it is a fantastic car. My wife was very excited about this car. And thanks for providing your own range experience story for others to see. These next results are based on Nissan’s computer simulations. Driving aggressively, we had about 17 miles after the LBW. I’m sorry that you feel that the LEAF is “a piece of junk”. The car is two month old. We would expect this sequence of events to remain the same, although we haven’t yet tried it ourselves. Each arc of the multi-colored rainbow represents the mileage that you might expect to see from a full charge and a new battery, based on different driving conditions. Reliable range is 70-75 miles with heavy freeway driving for daily 60-mile round-trip commute. The network of fast chargers means you really don’t need to worry about range. Hi Earnie, I seen this blog has no hits since 2015. San Diego offers a moderate climate, and our personal driving does not tax the vehicle’s range capabilities. That said, I’m all for them. Then it goes into “Turtle” mode where that little yellow turtle shows up you see on the instrument panel at start up, with the pedal to the floor the car only goes 10 MPH in that status. I hope that helps. 50 miles is considerably shorter than Nissan’s “worst case” scenario. I would also encourage you to try driving in ECO mode only until you get comfortable with your real-world range. For them, it works out perfectly (think of the fuel savings alone). A new Nissan Leaf already?No, it's an extra Leaf, a top-end version called the Leaf e+. We are also pleased to hear that you have been satisfied with the performance of your LEAF. I think I’d find something else to do until traffic cleared up. While these things may not have been anticipated prior to your LEAF purchase, they may just provide you with an acceptable, if not ideal, resolution. The above graphic is a representation on the Nissan LEAF website of what the expected range might be with a new LEAF under various driving scenarios. Here is a link to an article about finding apartment communities with EV capabilities (found here). Your experience shows that even in hilly terrain and cold weather, the LEAF can prove more than up to the task. Of all the comments written in this section, aside from the moderator, only Steve has had real life, real driving ownership information to share. So, that’s 20% off the top and bottom. I’m sure they’re going to win the battery war, someday. I get it that some people need to drive 80 miles per day to commute. Perhaps you can find someone that will have the right situation for the LEAF. I haven’t done it yet, but I am considering the alternatives. Yesterday was my first attempt to test out the range driving economically. Even if the electric power from the grid is 100% powered by burning coal, an electric car would still be better than using ICE cars, simply based on the fact that most EV charges are done in the evening, where the coal plants would have been wasting away those energies anyway. Although the Volt is a plug-in hybrid, we would rather see someone drive that than a pure gas burner. Thanks for the heads-up. I live in Canada and real world results are critical factors in my buying decision. Also, keep in mind that your range will improve as the weather warms. That said, we will be seeing longer range batteries likely in the next generation of the LEAF which should be out in about four years. Two of us have already posted some stats on our brand new 30 kWh Leafs on the Irish. After 5800 Gas Free miles costing roughly $100 in electricity I cant complain. A network of DC Fast Chargers is being installed down the length of I-5 and many other state highways. We are not endorsing either of these units, but have heard no negative reports, and many positive ones of the evseupgrade route. If you are in a position to have a 240-volt outlet at work, this could be a great way to optimize the range capability of your LEAF while minimizing your own range anxiety issues. According to Nissan, the range might vary anywhere between 62 miles and 138 miles. I suggest that you just do a search using these terms: “southern california apartments with electric car charging” and “southern california condos with electric car charging”. air conditioner (max cool setting) Im bound to work towards a 100mile mark to join that club. Over the several hours at work, she would add a cushion to be able to get home no problem. 1st drive was 60 miles of mixed driving in the dark with the heater set to 25 degrees and doing 60-70 where possible. Pre-heat the cabin using Carwings or timer. As I point out at the end of the article, if you really need more than 70 or 80 miles of range, perhaps the LEAF is not for you. You always have that “can I make it home” anxiety hanging over your head. 2) I’m seeing quite a few very low mileage (most under 5K) nearly new Leafs being sold on EBay motors recently in the $20-23K range, mostly by established car dealers (not necessarily Nissan dealers, they appear to be high volume used car dealers who someone get their cars below auction pricing.) As you found, they are doing more damage by providing incorrect information. The information provided there had not been available in such a fashion prior to that point. They are going to be no more than 30 miles apart and within 1/2 mile of the freeway. I don’t know much about that market, and I’m not recommending it, but it would seem there are alternatives to keeping a car that you don’t want. Your feedback will prove helpful to many – no matter where they live. Please do not get me wrong, like every sane person on Earth I would love to have a zero polution car that costs nothing to run, the problem is that this is not the case and in the real world the truth is a long way from the story we are being sold. Also, you don’t state whether you started with a full charge (12 bars), or an 80 percent charge (10 bars). I have L2 at both sides and Steve’s EVSE upgrade with an extension cord rigged for a dryer plug. They have outsourced their forum and "social" tracking to an inept and entirely unhelpful marketing/PR agency, who would be more interested in demonstrating to. But I learned in school that over a wider range Nissan Leaf Plus Has More Power, More Range. You don’t need to drain the battery prior to your next charge. I live in San Jose, CA. Then you will experience the very low battery warning. Both cars compliment each other very nicely – the Leaf gives between 8.6 and 9.3 km/kwh (although we have had some results in the 10s) in is perfect for errands in the city (often 3 – 9 stops per trip), something the Prius did not do efficiently in cold weather (cooled down too much between stops necessitating a repeat warm up cycle after each stop – hence lowered efficiency). The rest really won’t soak up much. Heat is generated by running lots of power through a resistor which is highly inefficient at transmitting power thereby creating – heat. Heating on at 19, with steering wheel and seats on, however using Eco mode and cruise control all the way. I was in Drive. Ray – When you get down to the Low Battery Warning (LBW), you still have 15 to 20 miles of range left, depending on conditions and driving style.

Salary Of Nigerian President And Governors, Bmw 1 Series M Sport For Sale, Typography Tutorial Pdf, Vw Id Buzz Release Date, The Subterraneans Read Online, 7 Lakh To Naira, Unrestored 1967 Shelby Gt500 For Sale, Austin Davis Bellefonte, Tom And Jerry Creator Death,