nice copy "As stunning as the report of a .357 Magnum, a dynamic premiere effort [...] The Best New Paperback Series of the year!" It's a tough-guy mystery to please even the most bloodthirsty of fans! Other books in the series: ADJOURNED PAYBACK GUILTY ABOUT THE AUTHOR Lee Goldberg is a two-time Edgar & two-time Shamus Award nominee and the #1 New York Times bestselling author of over thirty novels, including the Wall Street Journal bestseller True Fiction, fifteen Monk mysteries and the first five internationally bestselling Fox & O'Hare books (The Heist, The Chase, The Job, The Scam, The Pursuit ) co-written with Janet Evanovich. Woman are called dames they faint at the sight of blood and they're all just waiting for a real man to show them what's what. Spillane started an entire genre of hard hitting crime fiction novels that are often copied to this day.Put that aside if you can and enjoy a deliciously cheesy novel about two dimensional characters that do impossibly reckless things. Reviewed in the United States on October 9, 2016. Is he tough are what? But when his father is murdered by a street gang, Macklin becomes something else--a deadly weapon against crime, a relentless vigilante who won't stop until he's wiped out the killers who have turned Los Angeles into a war zone. There was a problem loading your book clubs. this was the first Mike Hammer book I've heard. It’s New York City in the late 1940’s and if you aren’t tough, you might be dead.It is important to put this book and its famous author in context. Would you listen to I, the Jury again? In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. A murder starts things off and a cast of players is introduced and our hardboiled hero goes about solving the whodunit, taking us through a fast-paced story heavy on sex and violence. Click or Press Enter to view the items in your shopping bag or Press Tab to interact with the Shopping bag tooltip. The 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s in Heller's book do it for me. Red Harvest is more than a superb crime novel: it is a classic exploration of corruption and violence in the American grain. Now, the no-holds-barred private eye returns, along with his gorgeous secretary, Velda, and a collection of New York City characters, in two fully dramatized "theater-of-the-mind" audio adventures. Max Allan Collins, Nick can no more resist the case than a morning cocktail or a good fight, and soon he and Nora are caught in a complicated web of confused identities. Did it make you laugh or cry? He was uniformly disliked by critics, owing to the high content of sex and violence in his books. "As stunning as the report of a .357 Magnum, a dynamic premiere effort [...] The Best New Paperback Series of the year!" Yes, great story and read in a convincing style that brought the 1950's tale alive. He continues as Mickey Spillane's muse for 21 novels with the latest "Murder Never Knocks" arriving in March 2016. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. So glad to find the full text finally narrated into an audio book. Brett Macklin was a freewheeling son of sunny California, a collector of vintage cars and a connoisseur of beautiful women. Enthält dieses Buch Qualitäts- oder Formatierungsprobleme? In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. I have read numerous "Mike Hammer" books, also about 45yrs ago, and all I remember is that I enjoyed them all. Dashiell Hammett. The many novels that followed became instant bestsellers, until in 1980 the US all-time fiction bestseller list of fifteen titles boasted seven by Mickey Spillane. Unable to add item to List. Robertson Dean, By: When the last honest citizen of Poisonville was murdered, the Continental Op stayed on to punish the guilty--even if that meant taking on an entire town. Please try again. While other detectives bend and manipulate the law, Hammer holds it in total contempt, seeing it as nothing more than an impediment to justice, the one virtue he holds in absolute esteem. But it's still head and shoulders above the majority of other hard boiled detective efforts by others.The answer is "yes I WILL listen to 'I, the Jury' again. Did you have an emotional reaction to this book? The whole quote :“I don't give a damn about reviews. It was probably not meant to be offensive, but colloquial to give color to the scenes. What about Mike Dennis’s performance did you like? I have read numerous "Mike Hammer" books, also about 45yrs ago, and all I remember is that I enjoyed them all. Good book. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. "As stunning as the report of a .357 Magnum, a dynamic premiere effort [...] The Best New Paperback Series of the year!" As an international television consultant, he has advised networks and studios in Canada, France, Germany, Spain, China, Sweden, and the Netherlands on the creation, writing and production of episodic television series. The book bristles with words that may be offensive to some. Prime-Mitglieder genießen Zugang zu schnellem und kostenlosem Versand, tausenden Filmen und Serienepisoden mit Prime Video und vielen weiteren exklusiven Vorteilen. Do you believe that this item violates a copyright? What was one of the most memorable moments of I, the Jury? Although Hammer chooses to take the law into his own hands, he does respect the police, especially his best friend, Captain Pat Chambers of the NYPD Homicide Department. Thanks!]. Mickey Spillane wrote his first novel so he could buy his wife a house. He's also written and/or produced scores of TV shows, including Diagnosis Murder, SeaQuest, Monk, and The Glades and is the co-creator of the hit Hallmark Mystery Movie series Mystery 101. And he's calling himself...Mr. Jury.Now vigilante Brett Macklin, the real Mr. Jury, is hitting the killing ground with just seventy hours to hunt down the deadly impostor and clear his name. All rights reserved. Max Allan Collins, By: Sam Spade in Dashiell Hammett's 'The Maltese Falcon' (1930) is strong, but fair. A great listen for all who like the grit of old time radio with an edge. Reviewed in the United States on May 30, 2015. Walking along the boardwalk, they witness a brutal beating at the hands of some vicious local cops - and Hammer wades in to defend the victim. He was married three times, the third time to Jane Rogers Johnson, and had four children and two stepchildren. Hammer is very patriotic and an anti-communist. The novel also embraces a … Hammer reenacting the scene of his friend's death in his mind as he put the pieces together to solve the crime. Have you listened to any of Mike Dennis’s other performances before? I, the Jury is a double-strength shot of sex, violence, and action that is vintage Spillane all the way. Good story giving the reader a glimpse of a hardened private detective with a vulnerable emotional side to him. Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Hammer reenacting the scene of his friend's death in his mind as he put the pieces together to solve the crime. The Jury is the worst yet. The book bristles with words that may be offensive to some. The novel's reputation for raciness and violence has outlasted the popularity of the book itself. Something went wrong. For one short moment in the big, hard city they were friends--and then the girl turned up dead. ©1991 Mickey Spillane. For a better shopping experience, please upgrade now. lol. I wouldn’t be surprised if Spillane threw in some crude sex just to splice up matters. A heart-stopping, emotional thriller you won't want to put down! Now, people are dying because of it and the girl with the gun is a crucial witness in the case. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, Update your device or payment method, cancel individual pre-orders or your subscription at. I read this book about 45yrs ago, in the late '60s. It’s worth it just for that perspective. Mike Hammer is the hard hitting, hard drinking private investigator who is going to find the man who murdered his best friend; then take care of him before the cops do. The leading lady is a beauty and she gives Hammer a run for his money. This item has a maximum order quantity limit. And make … It's a tough-guy mystery to please even the most bloodthirsty of fans! All the elements for a good murder mystery are in place here. A brilliant detective, haunted by his mother’s murder, must stop a vicious new killer. Cancel anytime. She giggles and tells him how safe she feels in his arms.It might have been meant to be serious when it was written, but it comes across as improbable now, and actually quite funny. A tarnished former cop goes on a crusade to find a politician's killer and avoid the .45-caliber slug with his name on it. In one moment a storm of madness entered the private eye's life. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on July 30, 2019. Three books in one. Please try your request again later. Stefan Rudnicki, Narrated by: He died in 2006. Very exciting performance. The voice acting is great! This is a Spillane classic and fits my likes. So, if you like a good straight forward, no nonsense, tough-guy detective story, this is one of them. Basically, Hammer displays a vicious rage against any violent crime. We see Mike Hammer for the first time in "I, the Jury". Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required. If your already triggered by that sentence don't read this book it'll only upset you but if you understand / like the genre and want to see how it started or have a sense of hummer and just fancy a genuinely clever murder mystery you should give this a go (seriously the actual plot is really well constructed) Also the performance is great Mike Dennis really throws himself into the part of Mike Hammer and all the other characters. Stattdessen betrachtet unser System Faktoren wie die Aktualität einer Rezension und ob der Rezensent den Artikel bei Amazon gekauft hat. At least with certain people. Dashiell Hammett, Narrated by: Suddenly, he is in too deep with a lethal blonde who has big ideas, a CIA secret, and another set of murders. The villains are slim balls of the worst sort. Would you listen to I, the Jury again? A short story worth a read. As an international television consultant, he has advised networks and studios in Canada, France, Germany, Spain, China, Sweden, and the Netherlands on the creation, writing and production of episodic television series.

3 Holiday Tails Cast, Reminiscences Of A Stock Operator Audible, Lamborghini Countach Interior, Alex Mighten Parents, C-class Hybrid, Thom Yorke Lyrics, Adobe Bricks For Sale Tucson Az,